ASFORDBY, a village, consisting chiefly of one street, with several neat houses, on the North side of the navigable river Wreake, 3 miles West of Melton Mowbray has in its Parish 485 inhabitants, and 1483A, 3R, 13P of land, generally having a clayey soil and a flat surface.
The Rev. Frederick Geo.Burnaby B.A., is the Lord of the Manor and patron of the Rectory, valued in K.B. at £15.11s.7d, and now at £475. The Rev. John Martmell, M.A. is the incumbent and has a good residence, built in 1808, and 260 acreas of glebe mostly allotted in lieu of tithes, at the enclosure, in 1761.
The Church (All Saints) has a tower, spire and five bells and was renovated in 1830. The north aisle was paved in 1827 at the expense of the late rector. Mrs. Burnaby has an estate here, and resides at Asfordby Hall, a large and handsome mansion, built in 1840, at a cost of about £4000, in the italian style, of brick, cemented in imitation of stone. Wm Inett Esq, Mr Daniel Hall, Mr. Henry Houghton, Mrs. Stowerand some smaller
proprietors, have land in the parish.
The National School was built by the late Rector, in 1843, at a cost of £300; and a house for the master was built near it in 1859, by Miss C.C. Barnaby, at a cost of £250. The master has the dividends of £172.0s.10d, three-per-cent console, purchased with £100 left by Morris Cam in 1769; and the interest of £200 left by the late Rector, the Rev. Andrew Burnaby in 1857. The poor have the interest of £40 left by one Humberstone; and of £20 left by the Rev. Andrew Burnaby in 1776. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have small chapels here, the latter builtin 1840, and former in 1838.
There were 3 Inns – The Blue Bell, the Crown and The Horseshoes.
Letters arrived from Melton at 8.30 am and were collected at 5.00 pm
(Extract from History, Gazatteer and Directory of the Counties of
Leicestershire and Rutland, published in 1863)